Western Massachusetts Multiple OUI Attorney
What Happens if This Is Not My First DUI Offense?
The Massachusetts law prosecutes multiple OUI offenders very harshly. In 2005, Melanie's Law was passed to amplify the sanctions and penalties for OUI offenders with previous convictions. This law established the new offense of operating under the influence of alcohol and operating after suspension for drunk driving. If you are convicted of an OUI with a previous drunk driving conviction on your record, you can be charged with two crimes simultaneously: OUI and OUI with a suspended license.
Each subsequent DUI conviction will result in stricter penalties.
The potential punishments for multiple OUI offenses depend upon the number of convictions:
- Fine of $600 to $10,000
- Jail sentence of 30 days minimum, and up to 2 ½ years total
- License suspension of 2 years; a general hardship license will be considered after 1 year, with mandatory instillation of ignition interlock devices
- Fine of $1,000 to $15,000
- Jail sentence of 150 days minimum, and up to 2 ½ years total
- License suspension of 8 years; a general hardship license will be considered after 4 years, with mandatory instillation of Ignition Interlock Devices
- Fine of $1,500 to $25,000
- Jail sentence of one of the following, based on the court's discretion:
- House of Corrections: 1 year minimum, and up to 2 ½ years total
- State Prison: up to 5 years
- License suspension of 10 years; a general hardship license will be considered after 8 years, with mandatory instillation of Ignition Interlock Devices
- Fine of $2,000 to $50,000
- Jail sentence of 2 years to 5 years in State Prison
- Lifetime license suspension with no possibility of a hardship license
Choose the Support of a Strong Advocate, Choose a Western Massachusetts DUI Lawyer.
If you were previously convicted of operating under the influence, it is absolutely imperative that you enlist the support of an experienced Western Massachusetts multiple OUI lawyer. We understand the dire consequences you are facing and can examine every aspect of your case to develop a comprehensive defense strategy. Our team has defended countless DUI cases and possess a thorough understanding of the state laws and legal system. When your personal liberties are at stake, you need the support of an aggressive lawyer who is committed to protecting your rights.
Contact a Western Massachusetts multiple OUI attorney from The Law Offices of Joseph D. Bernard P.C. if you need a strong legal advocate to represent your multiple DUI case.